Monday, July 20, 2009

A Real Volunteer!..almost

Well, I am just two days away from officially swearing that I will uphold the constitution and that I won't bomb anything that looks American. That being said, I will be in the ambassadors house on Thursday so I will have my chance before actually swearing in. As of today, I have been in Fiji exactly 2 months and am 2 days away from the end of training. We just had our language proficiency exam, which I passed by colors (as opposed to flying colors). Sally, on the other hand, set a new standard in how fast one can physically learn a language. The best part is that she is supposed to wait to talk until after her husband has which means that she is often standing next to me translating and feeding me lines. It seems to work.

Anyway, training is over which means that we will be heading to our site soon. Because there are very few boats to our little island in the middle of nowhere, we can't go straight to our site after swearing in. We will be in Suva for almost a week giving us some time to buy everything that we will need to eat and live without electricity for 2 months. That will be the next time that we will be able to leave our island. This move means that we have a new address. It goes like this:

Brian Smithers/Sally Moyce
PO Nasau
Koro Island
Lomaiviti Group, Fiji
South Pacific

The mail comes once a week on the boat and then we will go to the Post Office (a guy) and ask him if we got anything. He then looks in the sack and says yes or no. If it is no, I walk away very sad knowing that my next chance to be disappointed will be 7 days away. Please do your part to minimize that disappointment. There is still some debate as to whether the internet will make it to our island, but as of now, there is no internet there. That means that letters will be it for a while. That being said, the island has the infrastructure to allow internet and there is talk of us (Sally, really. In a strange twist of fate, Sally is going to be teaching computers at the high school) ushering in the digital age to Koro Island. Scary thought. So, I will post next week when I will finally be able to get some photos up here, and then that may be it for a while. Tune in next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment