Monday, November 1, 2010

Who came up with ‘shoes’ anyway?

Yesterday, I successfully pissed off the chief.  As you can imagine, that is something you aren’t supposed to do.  It doesn’t sound like much; I invited a government agency to come and do a workshop on micro-finance and saving.  I cleared it with the turaga ni koro (mayor) and was under the impression that he would clear it with the chief.  Well, even though they are brothers, they don’t speak to each other.  So, no one told the chief and he got his feelings hurt…really hurt.  Fiji is weird in that it is extraordinarily easy to offend someone and equally easy to get forgiveness.  The chief would not talk to me and when he did, it was clear that I was on the fecal list.

Basically, I had to make a formal, public apology.  One might think that when the white guy screws up in a cultural way, some lee-way might be given.  Nope.  So, I brought the kava and using some newly-learned phrases gave my apology.  I said my piece, gave him the kava, he said his piece, everyone around agreed that it was really the turaga ni koro’s fault and all was forgiven.  Problem solved.

Well the rains came and when the rains come around here, look out.  Now it rains all of the time.  Last week, I went to town and I wore, get this, shoes.  I realized as I was putting on those shoes that this was the first time that they had ever been worn.  I bought these shoes on the way out the door to Fiji and hadn’t worn them for a year and a half.  (In the name of full disclosure, I also have a pair of running shoes that have a bit more use, although not nearly as much as I would have liked.)  One thing about wearing shoes after not wearing them for a long time.  THEY SUCK!  Shoes have no business in this country.  I was wearing them because of the rain, but ultimately, my feet got good and wet anyway and then since there was so much stuff for absorbancy purposes, I then had to cart all of that water around with me.  Flip-flops are the only way to go around here, rain or shine.

Well, if you are anywhere near California, I am sure that you are aware of all of the issues that are in the news.  Of course, you have seen all of the ads and the various opponents and have probably made up your mind who you are supporting by now.  I am also sure that you understand how important this year’s contest is and are approaching this November with the gravity with which it deserves.  That being said, the way that the Giants man-handled Texas those first two games has got to make you feel good!  (Of course I was talking about baseball.  Why, is something else going on.)  If you have read my past blogs, you may remember me babbling about the Giants finding their way to greatness when I don’t live in the country.  At that point I threatened that if they went to the World Series, I would be moving permanently out of the country.  Well, friends and family, it was really nice seeing you while it lasted.  Perhaps I will try to visit the US during the off-season, but I can’t stay for long as I don’t want to risk the Giants reverting back to mediocrity.

Here’s some good news!  Sally and I are heading to New Zealand in February.  You should come too!  That will be our first time away from Fiji since we got here and, suffice it to say, we are pretty excited.  I love it here, but a western nation break sounds pretty good.  We managed to get a ticket with Alaska Airlines frequent flier miles.  I love Alaska Airlines and that I can get a ticket from Fiji to New Zealand using their miles, and not very many of them, for that matter!  We could make that trip 2 more times and have miles to spare.  (We won’t, I don’t think.)  I am telling you this because we are actively recruiting joiners.  You should come.  February 13-26.  I am taking the GRE (again-they expire after 5 years) on the 12th so will be pretty happy by then.  You can buy me a drink by way of congratulations.  Doesn’t that sound great?  So, good you probably want to buy me another one!  Aw, shucks, you are too kind.  No--Gordon’s gin, please.  Oh, they don’t have any?  Beefeater is fine, thanks.  I can’t wait to have that conversation with you in Christchurch!

No comments:

Post a Comment