Thursday, March 18, 2010

Family Vacation

My parents visited a couple of weeks ago and it was some pretty good timing for us. We had just found out that we were being moved from our house and since it was a house at the high school compound, they were also taking away Sally’s job there to justify removing us from the house. We were having a rough time, so my parents coming and us taking a little vacation was just what the doctor ordered, but it didn’t start particularly well because our ferry broke.

The original plan was for my parents to fly from LA to Nadi and then take a short flight from Nadi to Savusavu, where they would catch the ferry to come to Koro. Well, the ferry broke and was grounded in Suva stranding my parents in Savusavu where they stayed for a couple of days while we figured out how to get together. We decided the only option was to hire a small boat from Koro to go and pick them up. It was pricey. Then the winds picked up. Koro and Savusavu are not especially close. You can’t see one from the other on the horizon for example. Well, my parents rode in about a 10 foot boat over the open Koro Sea in 25 knot winds…on my Mother’s birthday. It was awful, I am told, but they made it. We would not subject anyone else to that trip.

Once they made it to Koro, we had a wonderful time. We stayed one day in Dere Bay, the rich, white side, before heading over to our village for some culture. And they got it. We dressed them up in Fiji clothes, drank kava, presented the isevusevu to the chief and hung around Fiji-style. It was great. From there we hit the road and that is where our vacation really starts in my eyes.






After the overnight ferry from Koro to Viti Levu, we hung out in Suva for just a bit and then hopped a bus to the Coral Coast where we stayed at a little place called Tambua Sands Beach Resort. It was pretty cool—nice white, sandy beach and comfy bures (little houses for sleeping), but the food wasn’t great. This was our first taste of tourist-traveling. Where we live, you can’t buy any food out so either you make something yourself or someone makes it for you, but either way it is free. Even when we go to Suva, I know that I can grab lunch for $1. So, when I saw that drinks were $10 and dinners were $15-$20, I couldn’t believe it. I realize that isn’t that big of a deal on the US market, but here it is highway robbery. Anyway, it took me a bit to get over the feeling of being robbed on this trip.







Finally, we shoved off to the Yasawas (with another case of those 40’s) to Nacula Island where we stayed at a place called the Oarsman’s Bay Lodge. We chose it because it was as far into the Yasawas as the ferry boat goes, figuring there would be less tourists (there were) and because it sits on what is referred to in Lonely Planet as the best beach in Fiji (it was). I can’t begin to tell you how beautiful this place is. Photos will have to do, but it was certainly everything you might think of when you say the words “Tropical Paradise.” We also chose the Oarsman’s Bay Lodge because it is owned and operated but a Fijian village and we want to support those ventures whenever we can. That usually means you suffer on some of the food and amenities, but this place was still pretty cool. I would go back in a heartbeat. (In fact, when we figured that we were going to be moved from our site, Sally and I tried to get placed in that village to help them run and update their lodge in addition to some other projects.)












Then there was the diving. It is a bummer that I can't upload video here (really slow connection) because I have some good stuff of some sharks. Anyway:











Like all good things, this one ended. My parents flew out on a Tuesday, we hopped a bus back to Suva, had a power meeting with Peace Corps about our future (or lack thereof) on Koro and were back to Koro the next day. It was a great trip; we loved having my parents here who, even now in the their 60’s, are some of my favorite people to travel with. Who else would have ridden the open seas on a row boat to see us? They amaze me with their adventurous spirit and willingness to roll with the flow on a trip to Fiji, where the flow never rolls in a straight line. Plus they pay for stuff. So, Mom and Dad, I hope that you are planning your trip here for next year because we are counting on you. I thought that we might try foregoing the skiff entirely and try swimming from Vanua Levu to Taveuni!

No comments:

Post a Comment